Sunday, April 10, 2011

Let's Get More Serious, Dogwise

      No pictures this time.  Just some thoughts on this new place I find myself...  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

      I understand much of the Slovak language and I have a very good feeling for the culture of the Slovaks.  I was born there and grew up there and struggled there with my small family.  With Hungary just 20 miles to the South, Poland just North of the High Tatra Mountains, the Ukraine a little more than 40 miles to the East, and Austria way far to the East, I am a child of Central Europe.  I know that you may doubt that a dog could be this geographically aware, but humans are always underestimating the abilities of the dogs that share their lives.  Be assured that that underestimation is not reciprocated.  We are generally in awe of your (you human's) qualities, your things, your powers, your insight.  You always seem to be ahead of us, anticipating our needs and wants, uniquely able to either love or torture us, you are our terrible wager with the future.

      I now understand much of the English language also, although my feeling for the American culture is in its infancy.  Besides my best friends, Traci and Drew, I've only really met four other Americans thus far.  First were Mary and Dick.  They are our friends and live somewhere nearby, although I haven't visited them as yet.  Mary brought me a very nice gift and Dick smelled a bit like like some bars I've frequented in Kosice.  Beer smells really good, and I understand that Dick is a master brewer.  I can't wait to visit their house and have a chance to sip some samples of Dick's best efforts.  Nice folks.  We drank wine and watched something called NCAA basketball on the really big TV in the family room.  We had a nice TV in Kosice but this TV is way bigger.  I loved to watch Animal Planet in Kosice but I haven't found it yet on this monster.  So many things to do...
          
      The other two Americans I have met are Drew's relatives.  We (Drew, Traci and I) drove to a place called Mechanicsburg somewhere here in Pennsylvania to meet Drew's mother (Elizabeth) and his sister (Audrey).  What a great day!  They both really seemed to like me even though I think I was a bit over the top with the affection thing.  I need to learn how to show my affection without being quite so clingy.  Oh well, it went well despite me.

    It was Elizabeth's birthday!  We brought flowers and a card and we all went to a really nice restaurant for a long lunch (although I was not allowed in).  I am going to get seriously upset with this American aversion to dogs in restaurants and coffee shops.  Do you get a sense that there may be a theme coming in future blog posts?

      Audrey was a dog person.  I could smell her Malcolm on her.  Interesting.  I'm sure we (Malcolm and me) will meet nose-to-nose sometime in the fairly near future.

      Elizabeth was 91 years old yesterday.  I'm 3.  Wow!  Can you even begin to imagine how many experiences, and smells, and feelings she has had in her lifetime?  It makes my mind swim to think how much more she knows than I do, how much there is to learn from someone with so long a history, so rich a life, so deep an understanding of what's important, and what's not.  We invited her to come to Pittsburgh to visit us at the new house and I REALLY look forward to spending more time with her.  So much to learn!

      Well, its time for me to retreat to some other part of the house.  Drew and I have been preparing this blog post together but he has now turned the volume WAY up on the Les Miserables CD and it hurts my ears.  Without me, Drew will quickly run out of anything further smart to report.  So, until next time...  Sempre Reputo!
    



          

No comments:

Post a Comment